I remember requesting my mom’s black bottom cupcakes on more than one occasion because they were my FAVORITE. They reminded me of those Hostess cupcakes (but better)–you know the chocolate ones with the white spiral thingy on the top and the cream filling? Fuji Nana’s version turns out moist, chocolaty, and oh so creamy.
You start out by mixing up your chocolate cake batter and pouring it into your cupcake liners. Then you mix up your filling and drop rounded teaspoonfuls of it on top of each filled cupcake liner and then you bake them.The filling will sink partially into the middle of the cupcake, just like magic!
Fuji Nana’s Black Bottom Cupcakes
Makes 30 cupcakes
1 chocolate cake mix (I prefer to use a Devil’s Food cake mix)
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
1 egg, beaten slightly
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cupcake tins with paper baking cups and spray lightly over top with cooking spray.
2. Mix chocolate cake mix according to package directions. Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake cups.
3. Combine cream cheese, egg, and sugar and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Drop 1 rounded teaspoon full of mixture onto center of each cupcake.
5. Bake for 23-28 minutes. DON’T OVERBAKE!!
Cream Cheese Icing
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1-pound box powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Blend together until smooth and then use to frost fully cooled cupcakes.