Oct 19
2009

Nutella Pocket Cookies

in Chocolate, Dessert, Recipes by Type

One of the fun things that comes from being a mom and a food blogger is having the two roles cross.  As Squirrel gets older (she’ll be 3 in December, can you believe it?), her involvement in the kitchen increases.  I’m surprised at how many things I can find for her little hands to help me with.  Squirrel is also one of my official taste testers.  When she sees that I’m finishing up something in the kitchen she comes running in with an expectant look on her face and asks, “Can I have a taste?”

The other day I was photographing the cookies for this post.  I had an open jar of Nutella with a butter knife dripping with the gooey spread propped on top of the jar as a prop.  I had told Squirrel that she could have a cookie and so she came over to cash in on my promise.  As I was making some adjustments to my tripod, she spotted the Nutella jar, and went straight for it.  I told her not to touch, so she got creative and got a taste of Nutella without touching.  What an obedient little girl.

Do you think she likes Nutella?  My mom pointed out that this was inevitable since squirrels love nuts…

These little cookies hide a little pocket of Nutella in the center.  Cream cheese makes the cookie melt in your mouth.  If the cookie dough is getting too soft and sticky while you are working with it, put it back into the refrigerator to chill and firm up for a few minutes.  Colder dough is easier to work with because it is firmer and less sticky.

Print This Recipe
Nutella Pocket Cookies
Makes 4 dozen cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread)

1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until smooth, light, and fluffy.  Add the vanilla extract and ground cinnamon and mix until well combined.  Gradually add the flour to the creamed mixture and mix well.  Divide the dough into four portions; cover and refrigerate until the dough is firm and easy to handle.

2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Remove one portion of dough from the refrigerator.  On a floured surface, roll out one portion of dough until it is about 1/4-inch thick.  Using a circle cookie cutter (or biscuit cutter) that is approximately 3 inches in diameter, cut circles out of the dough and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Place approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons of Nutella on each circle, slightly off-center, then fold each circle in half so that the edges meet and lightly press the edges to seal.  Repeat this process for each portion of dough.

3. Bake the cookies for 12 – 15 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.  Leave the cookies on the cookie sheet for 2 – 3 minutes before removing them to wire racks to cool.

{ 66 comments… read them below or add one }

Logical April 25, 2010 at 7:30 pm

What parent names their kid Squirrel? That kid is going to be made fun of at school. Shame on you.

Helene April 26, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Logical: It’s her nickname so Rachael does not have to use her real name online…

paris October 20, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I love your site! These cookies are what first got me here, so I figured it was destiny for me to try making them…what can I say they are incredible!

Jenny Heid aka Jenny Holiday December 15, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Yowzerrrrr!!! These look outta control!! Yumm!!!! Thanks bunches for sharing!!!

XOXO

Jessica Lee Binder December 15, 2010 at 3:44 pm

That 2nd picture could sell anything in the world. I’d buy a cardboard cookie with play-doh filling.

jennifer December 15, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I made these 2 days ago for a cookie swap..I must say they were not very tasty at all and the Nutella does not bake well in these at all and the cookie overall was bland tasting.. I ended up cancelling on the swap because I ended up throwing them away.

Fuji Mama (Rachael) December 15, 2010 at 7:44 pm

@jennifer, I’m sorry you felt that way Jennifer!

Debbie December 17, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Sorry I gave you a second trackback as I updated my post! Thanks for commenting at my blog, as you know I messed up the dough somehow so it became a sticky mess. I think I messed up trying to translate the recipe into metric. I’ll definitely be trying them again though! You’re daughter’s adorable by the way!

me, my friend and my mom December 18, 2010 at 2:20 pm

we love the cookies!!! even the dough is fabulous!!!! we have a question though, since we have to cut them into circles could we just roll the dough into logs, chill and cut into thin pieces and bake those with the Nutella instead?
P.S. nice pictures….

joey December 18, 2010 at 2:24 pm

jennifer, these cookies are great!!!!!!!!

Krista January 26, 2011 at 11:38 am

OH…MY…GOSH…why don’t I live closer to the fujimama kitchen?!!

Loren May 31, 2011 at 3:37 am

Wow, looks really delicious, look at the cute girl above, so adorable. I love your cookie recipe.

Nadine December 22, 2011 at 6:40 pm

HELP! I am trying these for the first time and am having trouble with the dough. It is way to soft and mushy, more like a batter. I am afraid that adding more flour will ruin the taste. I bet it would need at least 1/2 to 1 cup more to be managable. It has been in the fridge for hours to no avail. Any suggestions?

Rebecca Calderone December 7, 2012 at 11:22 am

I’m about 3 years too late to this post but I just wanted to let you know that I made these cookies last year and they were delicious!! I’ll definitely be making these again. :)