Almond Crackle Custard Pie
Makes one 9-inch pie
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 tablespoon King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Kerrygold unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon almond extract
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line the pie shell with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
3. Bake the pie shell in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, then remove the weights and aluminum foil and bake for 10 more, until the crust is cooked through and a light gold color. Place the pie plate on a cooling rack and let the crust cool to room temperature before adding the filling.
4. Stir together the sugar and the rest of the ingredients, except for the eggs, until well incorporated. Add eggs, stirring well. Pour into the cooled pie crust.
5. Put the pie on a rimmed baking sheet in the oven on a center rack and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until it is just set in the center, about 60-75 minutes. Tent the pie with a sheet of aluminum foil after 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning.
6. Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely on a cooling rack. The pie will continue to set as it cools, so do not cut it prematurely. The pie can be kept, uncovered, at cool room temperature for 6 hours. Once it has cooled completely you can cover it with a piece of plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator. If you are serving it after being refrigerated, let it sit out for about 30 minutes, as it will taste better at room temperature.