Berry Fudgy Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 30 cupcakes
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cocoa powder
1/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
3 large eggs
21-ounce can of mixed berry (or raspberry) pie filling (or 22-ounce jar)
12 ounces semi-sweet (or bittersweet) chocolate chips, or finely chopped chocolate
6 tablespoons Kerrygold salted butter
Optional: chocolate balls, sprinkles, candycanes, etc.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven is preheating, place cupcake papers in muffin tins for 30 cupcakes.
2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, dry milk, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add the almond extract, eggs, and pie filling and mix together until well combined.
4. Fill each cupcake paper between 1/2 to 2/3 full with batter. (But no more, these rise quite a bit!) Bake the in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting them.
5. When the cupcakes have cooled, melt the chocolate and butter together in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until the frosting is shiny and smooth. It will be fairly thick. Let the frosting cool for about a minute and then spread it over the cupcakes and decorate as desired. The cupcakes are ready to serve when the frosting has cooled and set.