Blueberry Yogurt Cookies with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes about 48 cookies
* Recipe Notes: These cookies are soft and moist, reminiscent of a muffin top! I used fresh blueberries, but frozen work great too. The cookies are also delicious without the frosting.
For the blueberry yogurt cookies:
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh blueberries
For the lemon cream cheese frosting:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1. Make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease several baking sheets, or line them with silicone baking mats, and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar and yogurt, then blend in the egg and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together, then blend it into the wet yogurt mixture. Gently fold in the blueberries.
4. Drop tablespoonfuls of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches of space between each cookie. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the cookies start to barely brown at the edges. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for two minutes, and then move the cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Some of the blueberries will burst during baking—this is to be expected and will not affect the taste!
5. Make the frosting: Beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Slowly add the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice and beat until creamy, about 3 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest. Spread on top of the cooled cookies. These cookies are best eaten within 1 to 2 days.