Bob’s Dagwood Steak Sandwich
Makes 4 sandwiches
12 ounces boneless thin-cut beef sirloin tip steak, cut into 4 steaks
Salt and pepper
3 ounces sliced pancetta
1 medium red onion, sliced in thin rings
1/4 cup Mezzetta Peperoncini & Feta Sandwich Spread
4 small kaiser rolls
4 tomato slices
4 pieces Mezzetta Roasted Red Bell Peppers
2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
1/4 cup Mezzetta Chimichurri Sandwich Spread
1. Lightly pound the steaks to a 1/4-inch thickeness. Season the pieces of steak with salt and pepper and set them aside.
2. Slice the rolls in half and spread chimichurri on both halves and set them aside.
3. Cook the pancetta in a wide saute pan over medium-high heat until crisp. Set the pancetta aside. Add the red onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are slightly charred and softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and set them aside.
3. Sear the steaks in the same saute pan on one side until nicely colored, about 2 minutes. Flip the steaks over and cook for about 1 minute more for rare, 2 minutes for medium rare. Remove the steaks from the heat.
4. Assemble the sandwiches: Place a lettuce leaf on the bottom half of each of the rolls, then top with a steak, 1/4 of the cooked pancetta, 1 tablespoon of the Mezzetta Peperoncini & Feta Sandwich Spread, and some of the cooked red onions. Then add a tomato slice, roasted red bell pepper, and egg. Replace the top of the roll and press down lightly Cut the sandwiches in half if desired. Serve immediately.