Brown Bag Baked Peach Pie
Makes one 9-inch pie
Ingredients for the shortbread crust:
3/4 cup butter (12 tablespoons), softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
Ingredients for the peach filling:
2 ¼ pounds peaches (approximately 4 large, 5 medium, or 6 small peaches)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1. Make the shortbread crust: Beat the butter at medium speed with an electric mixer for about 1 minute, or until the butter is creamy. Add the granulated sugar and mix well with the butter. Add the flour approximately 1/2 cup at a time, beating in between each addition on low speed until just mixed. After adding all the flour, continue mixing the dough at low speed until the mixture is no longer crumbly and starts to come together into a ball.
2. Shape the dough into a log, wrap it in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator until you are ready to top your pie.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Make the peach filling: Peel, pit, and slice the peaches into 1/3-inch slices. Toss in the lemon juice. Stir the dry ingredients together, then add the mixture to the peaches and toss to coat them.
5. Assemble the pie: Fill a 9-inch pie plate with the peach filling. Remove the shortcrust dough from the refrigerator, unwrap, and cut the log into ¼-inch slices. Flatten slightly with your fingers and cover the crust in a scallop design.
6. Center the pie inside a large, heavy brown paper bag. Close the end by folding the bag shut a couple of times (if it’s long enough), or by stapling it shut. Make sure the bag does not touch the top of the pie (it will stick).
7. Bake the pie: Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and continue cooking for 40 minutes. Don’t peek inside the bag while baking! At the end of the baking time, remove the pie from the oven and carefully tear or cut the bag away from the pie. Let the pie cool for 1 hour before serving. Store the leftovers in the refrigerator.
*Recipe Notes: To peel your peaches, cut a shallow X on the bottom of each peach with a knife. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Carefully put the peaches (3 or 4 at a time) in the water and let them boil for 40 to 60 seconds. Remove the peaches with a slotted spoon and immediately submerge them in a bowl of cold water. Repeat with any remaining peaches. When the peaches have cooled, remove them from the water. The peaches should come right off. You can use a paring knife to gently peel away any stubborn pieces of peach skin.