Candied Seven Spice Almonds
Makes 1 pound of almonds
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon shichimi togarashi (Japanese seven spice), or 1/4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 egg white, at room temperature
1 tablespoon water
1 pound (about 3 1/2 cups) whole, unblanched (skins still on) almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix the sugars, salt, shichimi togarashi (or chili pepper flakes), cinnamon, and ginger together in a bowl.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg white with the water until it is frothy, but not stiff. Add the almonds and stir to coat them evenly. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the almonds, and toss to coat.
4. Spread the almonds out in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or a silicone baking mat).
5. Bake the almonds for 30 minutes, stirring them occasionally, then remove them from the oven. When they have cooled completely, break up any that are sticking together and pour them into a bowl and serve. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.