Makes about 20 pieces
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 cup water
1/2 cup (8 ounces) Kerrygold salted butter
4 large eggs
4 ounces (about 1 cup) coarsely grated Kerrygold Skellig Sweet Cheddar Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Whisk the flour, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg together in a small bowl.
3. Bring the water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the flour mixture all at once and stir vigorously. Cook and stir until the mixture forms a ball that doesn’t separate.
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the dough cool slightly (about 1 minute). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each one until the dough is smooth. Stir in the grated cheese.
5. Drop heaping tablespoons of dough about 2-inches apart onto a greased baking sheet (or a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper). Wet your finger tip and use it to lightly flatten any points that might be sticking out. Bake the gougères for 20 to 23 minutes until they are golden brown and puffy. Remove them from the oven and transfer immediately to a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Best eaten within 6 hours of baking.