Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Makes about 6 servings
1/2 cup raw cashews
1 cup boiling water
1 cup warm water
2 (15-ounce) cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cloves garlic
1/2 small shallot
1 bunch fresh basil, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
Garnish: 1/4 cup fresh basil, cut into chiffonade (thinly sliced into ribbons)
1. Put the raw cashews in a medium-size glass bowl and pour one cup of boiling water over them. Cover them with a dishtowel and let them soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Drain the cashews, then put them in a blender with one cup of warm water and blend until smooth and creamy.
3. Add the cans of fire roasted tomatoes, the tomato paste, shallot, and garlic cloves to the blender and blend everything together until pureed.
4. Transfer the soup to a medium saucepan, add the roughly chopped basil and heat the soup over medium heat until steaming, but don’t let the soup boil (it ruins the fresh flavor!).
5. Taste the soup and add salt and pepper to taste, then pour the soup into bowls and garnish with the basil that you cut into chiffonade. Serve immediately