FM’s Double Decker Carrot Spice Cake
3/4 cup oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans (or one 9×13-inch pan, if you want to make a sheet cake).
2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, applesauce, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla.
3. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
4. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pans.
5. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and let cool completely before frosting.
1/2 cup butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla.
2. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cake.