Washington YWCA Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen.
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
1/2 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
2 tsp. vanilla
2 2/3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 c. flaked coconut
2 c. (one 12-oz. pkg.) chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In bowl of mixer beat together butter, vegetable shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
3. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt until blended.
4. Add walnuts, flaked coconut, and chocolate chips.
5. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet. Bake for 8 or 9 minutes, or until cookies are just starting to brown. The centers will be soft.
6. Let cool for several minutes then remove from cookie sheet and place on wire rack to finish cooling.