Grapefruit Juniper Berry Fizz
Makes about 7 servings
For the Juniper Berry Syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons juniper berries, lightly crushed with a mortar and pestle
7 cups sparkling water
1 3/4 cups freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
Make the Juniper Berry Syrup:
1. Combine the water, sugar, and crushed juniper berries in a small saucepan and heat the mixture over medium high heat. When it comes to a boil, lower the heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the syrup into a glass jar or bottle and allow it to steep in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
3. After steeping, strain out the crushed juniper berries, and the syrup is ready to use. The syrup will keep fresh in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Make the Grapefruit Juniper Berry Fizz:
1. Mix 1/4 cup of the fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and 3 tablespoons of the Juniper Berry Syrup together in a tall class, then pour in 1 cup of soda water. Garnish with a grapefruit twist (optional).
2. Repeat with the remaining ingredients for the other 6 drinks.