Grilled Barramundi Pita Sandwich with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
Makes 4 servings
For the spice mix:
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the cucumber yogurt sauce:
8 ounces plain Greek yogurt (my favorite is Chobani)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 garlic clove, minced
2 small seedless cucumbers (approximately 6 ounces total), diced
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
2 Australis Barramundi fillets (approximately 6 ounces each) (thawed, if purchased frozen)
2 tablespoons butter
2 pita breads, cut in half and split open
Fresh mint leaves, to garnish
1. Heat the grill.
2. Make the spice mix: Put all of the spices for the spice mix into a bowl and mix well.
3. Make the cucumber yogurt sauce: In a second bowl, stir the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and lemon zest together and then fold in the garlic, cucumbers, salt, and pepper.
4. Prepare the barramundi fillets: Melt the butter in a frying pan and then turn off the heat. Place each barramundi fillet in the pan just long enough to coat it with butter. Remove the fillets and set aside. Liberally sprinkle the spice mixture on all sides of the fish to coat.
5. Make sure the grill is well oiled, to prevent the fish from sticking (or heat a sheet of aluminum foil on the grill instead). Grill the fish for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until the fish flakes easily.
6. Assemble the pita sandwiches: Cut each fillet in half and put a half inside each half of pita bread. Spoon the yogurt sauce inside the pita on top of the fish, garnish with fresh mint leaves, and serve.