Holiday Waldorf Salad
Makes 4 servings
1/2 cup pecans
2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup plain kefir (I used Green Valley Organics Lactose Free Plain Kefir)
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large crisp apples (I used Gala apples)
2 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
1/2 cup pomegranate arils
1 head butter lettuce, trimmed, washed, and dried
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spread the pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, watching them closely to make sure they do not burn. When toasted, remove the baking sheet from the oven, and move the nuts to a bowl to cool. When they have cooled, break them into small pieces and set aside.
3. Mash the feta cheese, kefir, and honey together with a fork in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, sea salt, and black pepper and whisk to combine.
4. Add the apples, celery, and pomegranate arils to the bowl, then toss with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
5. When ready to serve, toss the pecans into the salad. Arrange the lettuce leaves on 4 salad plates, then place the salad on top of the lettuce and serve.