Ichigo Condensed Milk Kakigori—Strawberry Condensed Milk Japanese Shaved Ice
For the Stewed Strawberries and Strawberry Syrup (Makes about 3 1/2 cups syrup and 3/4 cup stewed strawberries)
2 cups water
2 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 pound strawberries, chopped into large pieces
sweetened condensed milk
1. Make the strawberry syrup:In a large, nonreactive saucepan* combine the water and the sugar and heat over medium-high heat until the sugar has dissolved completely.
2. Add the strawberries and reduce the heat to medium-low heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste the syrup. If you desire a stronger strawberry flavor, continue simmering the syrup for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Strain the stewed strawberries out of the syrup and then put the strawberries and syrup in separate containers in the refrigerator to cool.
4. Assemble the kakigori: Shave the desired amount of ice. Drizzle strawberry syrup over the shaved ice. Add a spoonful of stewed strawberries, then drizzle some sweetened condensed milk over the top of the strawberries and shaved ice, and serve. The stewed strawberries should be frozen if not used within 24 hours of making them. The syrup will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.
* Nonreactive saucepan: stainless steel, glass, or ceramic materials. They are called nonreactive because these materials do not react with acidic ingredients the way copper and aluminum do.