Makes 4 servings
For the chicken fried rice:
8 ounces chicken, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 cups steamed Japanese rice
1/3 cup ketchup, plus more for garnish
For the omelette:
8 large eggs
4 teaspoons milk
Freshly ground black pepper
4 teaspoons canola oil
1. Make the chicken fried rice: Toss the chicken in the salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
2. Heat the canola oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and saute until soft. Add the garlic and shiitake mushrooms and saute until fragrant. Then add the chicken and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through.
3. When the chicken is cooked through, add the cooked rice to the pan and mix everything together, adding additional salt and pepper if needed. Stir fry the ingredients for about 2 minutes, until the rice has dried out slightly, then turn off the heat and add the ketchup and mix until it is well-incorporated into the rice mixture. Set the chicken rice aside.
4. Make the omelettes: Beat 2 of the eggs together in a bowl with 1 teaspoon of the milk, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon of canola oil in a frying pan over medium heat, then pour the egg mixture into the heated pan and tilt the pan to spread the egg mixture across the bottom of the pan. Cook the omelette until the edges have set, but the middle is still slightly runny.
5. Spoon 1/4 of the chicken rice filling in the middle of the omelet, carefully fold the sides of the omelette over the filling, then carefully flip the omelette out onto a plate. Garnish with additional ketchup.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more filled omelettes.