Ellie’s Fruit Cake
1 c. vegetable oil
1 1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. molasses
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. orange juice
1 c. more sifted flour
2 2/3 c. (15-oz.) seedless raisins
2 c. (1 lb.) cut-up dates
2 c. (1 lb.) mixed candied fruit
1 c. nuts, broken in half
1. Heat oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 loaf pans (8.5″x4.5″x2.5″) with brown paper.
2. Mix oil, sugar, molasses, and eggs. Beat vigorously with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
3. Sift together the 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt, spices, and stir in alternately with orange juice.
4. Mix the 1 cup flour into fruit and nuts.
5. Pour batter over fruit and nut mixture, mixing thoroughly.
6. Pour into prepared pans. Place a pan of water on lower oven rack. Bake cakes 2 1/2 to 3 hours. After baking, let cakes stand 15 minutes before taking from pans. Cool thoroughly on racks before removing paper. Store by wrapping tightly in aluminum foil, place in covered jar in cool place to ripen.
* Always use amount of fruit called for in recipe.
* Fruit cake is a heavy batter, rises very little.