Pork and Lentil Soup
Makes about 6 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons dried crushed basil leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 pound bone-in pork chops
3 cups chicken broth
8 ounces brown lentils, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
1. Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, ginger, basil, salt, black pepper, and cumin and saute until the onions have softened.
2. Stir in the carrots and saute for 5 minutes. Using a spatula, push the mixture to the edges of the pot. Add the pork chops and brown them on each side.
3. Add the broth, lentils and tomato paste and stir to combine.
4. Cover and simmer for 50 minutes.
5. Remove the pork chops from the pot. Using two forks, pull the meat from the bones. Discard the bones. Lightly shred the meat and return it to the soup.
6. Add the lime juice and chili flakes and stir into the soup, then remove the pot from the heat. Serve hot.