Roasted Baby Purple Artichoke Black Rice Salad
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Recipe Notes: This is a warm rice salad that makes a great meatless main dish or side dish. To make this gluten free, substitute tamari soy sauce or Bragg’s liquid aminos for the soy sauce.
For the roasted artichokes and Meyer lemon slices:
1 pound Fiesole baby purple artichokes
2 Meyer lemons
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
For the black rice:
1 1/2 cups black rice (also called forbidden rice)
2 1/4 cups water
1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
3 scallions, thinly sliced
2 medium-size ripe avocados, cut into small chunks
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Juice of one Meyer lemon, optional
1. Make the roasted baby purple artichokes and Meyer lemon slices: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Fill a large bowl with cold water and the juice of one of the meyer lemons.
2. Wash the artichokes, then remove the tough outer leaves. Cut off the top third of the head to remove the tough ends of the leaves, then slice it down the middle. Put the artichokes into the lemon water as soon as they have been cut in half.
3. Bring 2 to 3 inches of water to boil ina pot fit with a steamer insert. Drain the water from the artichokes and place them in the steamer basket, cover tightly, and steam for 5 minutes. Drain well.
4. While the artichokes are steaming, slice the second Meyer lemon in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 1/8-inch-thick slices, crosswise, removing any seeds.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic.
5. Place the artichokes in a roasting dish with the Meyer lemon slices. Drizzle the olive oil mixture over them, and toss to coat. Arrange the artichokes cut side up and roast them in the oven until they are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
6. Make the black rice: While the artichokes and meyer lemon slices are roasting, prepare the black rice. Bring the black rice, water, and a pinch of salt to a quick boil over high heat in a medium-size saucepan, then cover the saucepan and lower the heat to maintain a simmer, and let the rice cook for 30 minutes. Then turn off the heat and let the rice sit. Whisk together the sesame oil and soy sauce, then pour it over the black rice and toss with the rice while it is still warm. Replace the lid and set aside until it is time to assemble the salad.
7. Assemble the salad: When all of the salad components are prepared, place the rice in a large mixing bowl and add the roasted artichokes and Meyer lemon slices, avocado chunks, and sliced scallions, then toss gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. If desired, add the juice of an additional Meyer lemon.