Salt & Pepper Roasted Almonds & Walnuts
Makes 4 cups
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon fine grain sea salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg white, at room temperature
1 tablespoon water
2 cups raw walnuts
2 cups raw whole, unblanched (skins still on) almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix the sugar, salt, and pepper together in a bowl.
3. Beat the egg white with the water in a mixing bowl, until the mixture is frothy, but not stiff. Add the walnuts and almonds and stir to coat them evenly. Then sprinkle the sugar mixture over the nuts, and toss them to coat.
4. Spread the nuts out in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or a silicone baking mat).
5. Bake the nuts for 30 minutes, stirring them occasionally, then remove them from the oven. When they have cooled completely, break up any that are sticking together and pour them into a bowl and serve. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.