Gerry’s Gold Medal Sticky Toffee Pudding
For the cake:
6 ounces chopped and pitted dates
1 cup water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
4 tablespoons softened butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the toffee sauce:
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 tablespoons molasses
1 pinch sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and then grease an 8×8 square baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
2. Make the cake: Combine the dates and water in a sauce pan. Bring the water to a boil, then remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the baking soda, then set the saucepan aside.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a bowl.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula a few times. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Next add the vanilla and mix until incorporated.
5. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low. Then add all of the date mixture and mix to combine, then finish by adding the remaining half of the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
6. Scrape the mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake in the oven for about 35 minutes, or until the cake is springy in the middle. Let the cake cool for 20 minutes and then poke holes in it with a skewer. While the cake is cooling prepare the toffee sauce.
7. Make the toffee sauce: Combine all the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Let the sauce boil until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
8. Pour 1 cup of the sauce over the cake and let it soak in until ready to serve. Use the rest of the sauce for serving along with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. This cake is best served warm!