Tori No Mizutaki—Chicken & Vegetable Hot Pot
Makes approximately 6 servings
Recipe Notes: If you can’t find shiitake mushrooms, you can use your favorite mushrooms instead. For a heartier meal, serve this nabe with steamed rice or noodles.
8 cups water
1 large piece of kombu (about 30 square inches) (optional)
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 leeks, white and light green parts, sliced on an angle into 2-inch pieces
1/4 small head napa cabbage, cut into bite-size pieces
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1/2 medium carrot, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces, and thinly sliced lengthwise
2 teaspoons salt
2 heads baby bok choy, cut into bite-size pieces
1. Put the water and kombu (if using) in a Japanese nabe, or other pot, and heat over medium-high heat. Just before the water starts to actually boil, remove the kombu.
2. Add the chicken and simmer over medium heat for 3 minutes.
3. Add the cabbage, baby bok choy, carrot, mushrooms, and leaks, arranging each ingredient in a separate, neat bunch. Sprinkle the salt over the ingredients in the pot.
4. Cover the pot and bring the liquid to a simmer. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. If the nabe starts boiling too rapidly, reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Skim off any scum that may float to the surface while the nabe is cooking.
5. Transfer the hot pot to the dining table. Serve the ingredients together with the broth in small bowls. Each person can add ponzu as desired.