Turkey Avocado Onigiri Footballs
Makes approximately 6 onigiri
1 medium avocado, peeled and pitted
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 thin slices turkey (lunch-meat style)
3 cups freshly steamed Japanese rice
1 sheet nori (seaweed)
Special equipment: football-shaped cookie cutter
1. Mash the avocado, lime juice, and salt together in a medium-size bowl until well-combined and relatively smooth, then aside.
2. Cut six football shapes out of the turkey, using a football-shaped cookie cutter and set aside.
3. Moisten the cookie cutter with water, then set on top of a square of parchment paper. Fill the cutter about half-way full with cooked rice, using fingers moistened with water, or the back of a damp spoon (to prevent rice from sticking), to press the rice into place. Spread a layer of the guacamole mixture over the top of the rice, and then fill the cutter the rest of the way with rice, pressing again.
4. Place a turkey football on top of the rice. Then, gently pressing on the turkey with one hand, carefully remove the cutter with the other hand, pulling up and away.
5. Using kitchen sheers, cut small strips of nori and put on top of the turkey (rough side touching the turkey) to make the football laces. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 5 more footballs.