Vegetable & Roasted Mushroom Zucchini Noodle Bowls
Makes 4 servings
For the roasted mushrooms:
1 1/2 pounds cremini mushrooms
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the noodles:
1 pound zucchini
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 fresh red chili pepper, minced (optional)
4 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup soy sauce (or gluten-free soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos)
1 cup matchstick-cut carrots (about 3 ounces)
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1. Roast the mushrooms: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Drizzle the oil over the mushrooms in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Using your hands, toss everything together. Spread the mushrooms out on a rimmed baking sheet. Place in the oven for 40 minutes, or until browned and fork tender. Remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly, then cut them into quarters (or halves if they are small), and set aside.
2. Make the noodles: Slice the ends off the zucchini, and peel them (or leave the skin on for extra color). Then, using a spiral slicer, mandoline, or julienne peeler, turn the zucchini into long noodles, discarding the center seeded portion, and set aside.
3. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the grapeseed oil and swirl the pan to coat the bottom inside with oil. Add the garlic, ginger, and chili pepper (if using), and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the vegetable stock and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 8 minutes.
4. Add the zucchini noodles, return to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Assemble the bowls: Divide the noodles and broth evenly among 4 bowls. Top each bowl with 1/4 of the carrots, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Sprinkle with the herbs and drizzle with the toasted sesame oil over the top.