Day 5 of Cupcake Week! Can you believe it?
I wanted to give you a good appetizer cupcake. I came up with the idea of little one bite sandwiches masquerading as cupcakes. I’ll explain how I made mine, but there are a thousand different variations you could come up with by changing the bread and the contents. What I love about these is how simple they are, but still SO yummy. When I gave Squirrel one to try, she inspected it,
then leaned over and started licking the frosting off. Once she got a taste she inhaled the rest of it. It was pretty funny.
These would be a very cute appetizer for a baby shower or any other type of party. They are easy and quick to make and easy to eat. What more could you ask for?
Hammie Sammie Cupcake Bites
– soda bottle cap
– mini cupcake liners
– focaccia bread, thinly sliced (about 1/4″) (I just cut a loaf into smaller pieces and then sliced those pieces horizontally into very thin slices)–if your bread is sliced too thick, it will get stuck in the bottle cap when being cut and will be too thick for your sandwich bites
– provolone cheese, thinly sliced
– ham, thinly sliced
– cucumber, very thinly sliced (optional)
– 1 recipe of Hammie Sammie “Frosting” (recipe below)
1. Using the soda bottle cap as a cookie cutter, cut circles from the bread, cheese, ham, and cucumber. For each sandwich you will need 2 circles of bread, 1 circle of cheese, 1 circle of ham, and 1 circle of cucumber (if you are using it). Occasionally you may have a stubborn piece of something that won’t come out of the cap. Just use your toothpick to gently loosen one of the edges and it will pop right out.
2. Spread a very thin layer of “frosting” on the bread circles and place half of these circles in the bottom of the cupcake papers. Then place a layer of ham, cheese, and cucumber on top of the bread. Finally, top with the other bread circles (frosting side down).
3. Pipe “frosting” on top of sandwiches (I used a small star tip).
Hammie Sammie “Frosting”
Makes about 1 1/4 cups frosting (enough for about 24-30 sammies, depending on how much you use on each)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
Thoroughly mix ingredients and then refrigerate for about 15 minutes before using.
P.S. My incredible cohort in cupcake crime has outdone herself again. If you want to see the adorable cupcake onesie project she has going and the cupcake brush set for Photoshop she has for you to download, then flop over to Lolly’s!