Pancake Week 2011
National Pancake Week—because there is some dispute as to what week this is exactly (as I wrote in my introduction to National Pancake Week), I’m playing it on the safe side and celebrating from February 20, 2011 through March 8, 2011.
I have to admit, that although I don’t dislike pancakes, they haven’t been on my list of favorite foods since I was a little girl. As I have researched the various topics and angles for my posts for this topic, however, I think I have fallen back in love with this seemingly humble dish. I have marveled at the history of pancakes, and at the variety of types, toppings, sizes, and shapes I have come across.
Making a pancake requires ingredients that tend to be cheaper and more accessible to the masses. No special equipment is required. Just a flat cooking surface and something to flip them with. Despite these relatively simple necessities, pancakes are not just made by the poor or underprivileged. Evidence of this is the traditional blini, a small Russian buckwheat pancake that is usually served with sour cream and caviar or smoked salmon—not the cheapest ingredients on the planet.
I hope you enjoy my exploration of Pancakeology and fall in love all over again with these wonderful little cakes. Listed below are the links for all of the pancakeology posts, featured pancakeologists, and link to the gallery where you can share your own pancakreations!
- Get Pancaking for National Pancake Week!: Explanation of the holiday, plus a list of links to fabulous pancake recipes!
- Celebrating Pancake Week: Pancakes, an American creation? You thought wrong!: Discussion of pancake origins, including a pancake comic.
- Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Buttermilk Syrup, aka Breakfast Crack
- Pancake Paraphernalia
- Celebrate National Pancake Day 2011 by Supporting the IHOP Cause
- Best Children’s Pancake Books
- Orange Mochi Pancakes
- Nutella Banana Dorayaki (Pancake Sandwiches)
- Pancake For Breakfast Challenge
- Mochi Crepes
- Kristina Vanni, The Budget Diva: Swedish Pancakes with Lingonberries
- Josie Tavares, Daydreamer Desserts: Ruth Reichl’s Pancakes
- Taylor Mathis, Taylor Takes a Taste: Taylor Mathis Reveals the Secrets to Taking Perfect Pancake Photos
- Chef Austin Szu: White Chocolate and Coconut Pancakes
- Diana Bauman, A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa: Nourishing Whole Wheat Sourdough Pancakes
- Chris Garboski, Manager of Nestle HQ Test Kitchens: Whole-Wheat Pumpkin Blueberry Pancakes
- Prerna, Indian Simmer: Indian Savory Pancakes (Semolina and Yogurt Pancakes)
- Lauren, Celiac Teen: Gluten-Free Pancakes with Sliced Almonds
- Karen, Scattered Mom: Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
- Linda, Salty Seattle: Raspberry Creme Fraiche Crepes with Maple Pearls and Chocolate Bucatini
Have you joined in the celebration of Pancake Week 2011? Share! Come show off your pancakreations!